Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Proverbs 31 Woman

Thinking back over my prayer journals, one thought comes up a lot. I want to be a better wife and mother. There is a description of a woman that begins in Proverbs 31:10 that is THE woman. I've decided to go through it one verse a week and look into what makes her tick. I can work on the same traits in my own life and maybe feel like I'm getting somewhere. Join me on Thursdays when I'll share this week's verse.
P.S. please forgive all the funky fonts -- blogger and word apparently do not get along. i try to fix it as I catch it but sometimes it jumps right back to the weird stuff.

See verse 10 here.

See verse 11 here.

See verse 12 here.

See verse 13 here.

See verse 14 here.

See verse 15 here.

See verse 16 here.


**************************************

Proverbs 31:17
She is energetic and strong,
a hard worker.

Character Traits:
energetic and strong; hard worker

Character Trait 1:
energetic and strong

Definition:
--having or showing energy; active; forceful

--having moral or mental power; having great resources

Verses in the Bible about it:
Ephesians 6:10-11
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.

Psalm 24:8
Who is this King of glory?
The LORD strong and mighty,
the LORD mighty in battle.

Ecclesiastes 9:11

I have seen something else under the sun:

The race is not to the swift
or the battle to the strong,
nor does food come to the wise
or wealth to the brilliant
or favor to the learned;
but time and chance happen to them all.

Deuteronomy 31:6
Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Galatians 6:9

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up.

Summary:
This is a woman who keeps going, who is goal oriented. Most of the verses about being strong are referring to the Lord but the Webster’s definition up above says it all – active, moral power, mental power. I particularly like the part about having resources. It seems to me that to have strength and energy, you would have to have a resource to turn to occasionally. Maybe the reason all the verses keep referring to God is that He is that resource.

Character Trait 2:
hard worker

Definition:
--the use of one's strength or ability to get something done or to achieve a physically or mentally difficult task

Verses in the Bible about it:
Proverbs 10:4
Lazy people are soon poor; hard workers get rich.

Proverbs 12:11
A hard worker has plenty of food, but a person who chases fantasies has no sense.

Proverbs 21:30

No human wisdom or understanding or plan can stand against the Lord.

Philippians 4:3

And I ask you, my true partner, to help these two women, for they worked hard with me in telling others the Good News. They worked along with Clement and the rest of my co-workers, whose names are written in the Book of Life.

2 Timothy 2:15

Work hard so you can present yourself to God and receive his approval. Be a good worker, one who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly explains the word of truth.

Summary:
The Bible is pretty clear about what God thinks about a hard worker versus a not so hard worker. It tends to give it to you straight as the saying goes. I have to say I had not thought about presenting yourself to God as a hard worker – kind of like talking up your resume or something. Obviously this woman is doing just that though.

Conclusion for this verse:
This woman is once again active. That seems to be a reappearing theme with her. This time the verse expounds on it though. Not only is she active, but she is strong and energetic and working hard. She has a goal and a plan and nothing is getting in her way. She is using her own strength (not counting on servants or others) and her own resources to get the job done.

Comments:
I would love to be as clear in my dedication to my family as this woman obviously is. She doesn’t seem the type to be easily distracted or to fall victim to manipulation. She must make the Devil grit his teeth. I want to be strong and energetic and a hard worker, particularly after imagining her. I think I am all those things – when I want to be. My problem is motivation… getting myself up and moving and on track. I need to get myself in gear so that I can present myself to God as a hard worker and get His approval.

No comments: