Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Proverbs 31 Woman

Thinking back over my prayer journals, one thought comes up a lot. I want to be a better wife and mother. There is a description of a woman that begins in Proverbs 31:10 that is THE woman. I've decided to go through it one verse a week and look into what makes her tick. I can work on the same traits in my own life and maybe feel like I'm getting somewhere. Join me on Thursdays when I'll share this week's verse.
P.S. please forgive all the funky fonts -- blogger and word apparently do not get along. i try to fix it as I catch it but sometimes it jumps right back to the weird stuff.

See verse 20 here.

*****************************

Proverbs 31:21
She has no fear of winter for her household,
for everyone has warm clothes..

Character Traits:
no fear; prepared

Definition:
--lack of concern about what may happen; trust

Verses in the Bible about it:
Romans 4:21

He was fully convinced that God is able to do whatever he promises.

Isaiah 26:4

Trust in the Lord always,
for the Lord God is the eternal Rock.

Isaiah 64:4

For since the world began,
no ear has heard,
and no eye has seen a God like you,
who works for those who wait for him!

Joshua 23:10

Each one of you will put to flight a thousand of the enemy, for the Lord your God fights for you, just as he has promised..

Matthew 25:1-10

Then the Kingdom of Heaven will be like ten bridesmaids who took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroom. Five of them were foolish, and five were wise. The five who were foolish didn’t take enough olive oil for their lamps, but the other five were wise enough to take along extra oil. When the bridegroom was delayed, they all became drowsy and fell asleep. “At midnight they were roused by the shout, ‘Look, the bridegroom is coming! Come out and meet him!’ “All the bridesmaids got up and prepared their lamps. Then the five foolish ones asked the others, ‘Please give us some of your oil because our lamps are going out.’ “But the others replied, ‘We don’t have enough for all of us. Go to a shop and buy some for yourselves.’ “But while they were gone to buy oil, the bridegroom came. Then those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was locked.

Psalm 37:5

Once I was young, and now I am old. Yet I have never seen the godly abandoned or their children begging for bread.

Summary:

Obviously, this woman has had the foresight to prepare for the seasons. We could apply this to having the foresight to be prepared for emergencies or the ups and downs of life. The verses suggest that we should be prepared for the future as well as that God is taking care of us and we therefore need have no fear.

Conclusion for this verse:
This is only another aspect of this woman’s willingness to work hard to provide for her family. She has had the foresight to be prepared for whatever may come yet knowing that the Lord is fighting for them and will take care of them in every situation. It may be that is why she feels free to be generous (as in the other verses) and care for the poor. She looks ahead to be ready and then uses her resources to honor her God.

Comments:
I am good to some degree at being prepared but I tend to get distracted as well. I think I need to work on the distraction part and motivate myself to put more effort towards having foresight so that I will too be free to give generously – not stockpiling and holding on to things, trusting in them to provide for me. Trust is probably at the heart of this verse. And I’m not that great at it.

No comments: