Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Proverbs 31 Woman

Thinking back over my prayer journals, one thought comes up a lot. I want to be a better wife and mother. There is a description of a woman that begins in Proverbs 31:10 that is THE woman. I've decided to go through it one verse a week and look into what makes her tick. I can work on the same traits in my own life and maybe feel like I'm getting somewhere. Join me on Thursdays when I'll share this week's verse.
P.S. please forgive all the funky fonts -- blogger and word apparently do not get along. i try to fix it as I catch it but sometimes it jumps right back to the weird stuff.

See verse 10 here.

See verse 11 here.

See verse 12 here.

See verse 13 here.

See verse 14 here.

See verse 15 here.

See verse 16 here.

See verse 17 here.

See verse 18 here.

*******************************

Proverbs 31:19
Her hands are busy spinning thread,
her fingers twisting fiber.

Character Traits:
busy

Definition:
--
involved in action : actively at work; full of activity; being in use

Verses in the Bible about it:
Psalm 39:6
We are merely moving shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in nothing. We heap up wealth, not knowing who will spend it.

Ecclesiastes 11:6

Plant your seed in the morning and keep busy all afternoon, for you don’t know if profit will come from one activity or another—or maybe both

Summary:
This character trait is again related to earlier ones. This particular clump of verses is reinforcing over and again what a hard worker she is with multiple examples.

Conclusion for this verse:
I left the majority of the conclusion from last week’s verse here because it seems to be so appropriate again. -- Active and working seem to be her code words. The writer here wasn’t content to say that she is a hard worker who keeps vigilant over her family and their finances. The examples of these traits in her life are numerous enough to provide proof. These are not just conclusions that some random person happened to make based on one or two instances and he is making it clear. She IS hard working. And her family has received the benefit of her presence.

Comments:
One of the dictionary’s synonym explanations for the word ‘busy’ said that it stresses the idea of not being idle but actively involved in something. I included the verse from Psalms above because I think it’s important to be aware what all that busyness is for.

If I am simply busy, busy, busy and it’s not busy with my priorities in place, then there will be no point. I must rather, like the dictionary said, not be idle and be sure that when I am busy, it is because I am caring for my family (whether my nuclear family or my family in Christ makes no difference). Being busy because of or for the things of this world will simply be a fruitless exercise that exhausts me and everyone around me.

No comments: