Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Proverbs 31 Woman

Thinking back over my prayer journals, one thought comes up a lot. I want to be a better wife and mother. There is a description of a woman that begins in Proverbs 31:10 that is THE woman. I've decided to go through it one verse a week and look into what makes her tick. I can work on the same traits in my own life and maybe feel like I'm getting somewhere. Join me on Thursdays when I'll share this week's verse.
P.S. please forgive all the funky fonts -- blogger and word apparently do not get along. i try to fix it as I catch it but sometimes it jumps right back to the weird stuff.

See verse 27 here.


**********************************************

Proverb 31:28

Her children stand and bless her.
Her husband praises her:

Character Traits:
worthy of blessing/praise

Character Trait:

praiseworthy

Definition:
--having enough value or excellence as to cause others to express approval or glorify

Verses in the Bible about it:
Isaiah 30:18b

For the Lord is a faithful God. Blessed are those who wait for his help.

Psalm 91:14

The Lord says, “I will rescue those who love me.
I will protect those who trust in my name.

Proverb 22:29

Do you see any truly competent workers?
They will serve kings
rather than working for ordinary people.

1 Thessalonians 3:9

How we thank God for you! Because of you we have great joy as we enter God’s presence.

Deuteronomy 2:7

For the Lord your God has blessed you in everything you have done. He has watched your every step through this great wilderness. During these forty years, the Lord your God has been with you, and you have lacked nothing.”’.

Psalm 90:17

And may the Lord our God show us his approval
and make our efforts successful.
Yes, make our efforts successful!.

Summary:

I had a hard time finding verses that specifically said to praise someone for their hard work. Rather, I kept finding ones that did praise someone and then give thanks to God for that person. That is perhaps a better goal. Doing things that earn praise so that you might point back to God as the source of your initiative and hard work.

Conclusion for this verse:

The author here has listed so many examples of how this woman works to oversee her household and to bless her family. Now he tells us that her children and husband recognize her hard work and praise her for it. It is not just that they are blessed by it but rather that they cannot help to notice how much her life blesses theirs. I imagine this woman’s home as a place where the neighbor children like to gather and other families enjoy visiting. Who would not want to rest in the glow of someone who thinks so often and in everything she does of others?

Comments:
This one hit me in the face. I often get frustrated and take the attitude that since no one will notice anyway, why should I bother? That is forgetting, of course, that my Father in Heaven – even if no single other soul does—will notice that I put the effort forth (or didn’t). Every little thing, even cleaning a toilet, should be done as if doing it for God. In the end, isn’t it true that I am?

No comments: