Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Proverbs 31 Woman

Thinking back over my prayer journals, one thought comes up a lot. I want to be a better wife and mother. There is a description of a woman that begins in Proverbs 31:10 that is THE woman. I've decided to go through it one verse a week and look into what makes her tick. I can work on the same traits in my own life and maybe feel like I'm getting somewhere. Join me on Thursdays when I'll share this week's verse.

P.S. please forgive all the funky fonts -- blogger and word apparently do not get along. i try to fix it as I catch it but sometimes it jumps right back to the weird stuff. See Verse 29 here.

****************************************

Proverb 31:30

Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised.

Character Traits: Placing the Lord above beauty and charm

Character Trait:

Fears the Lord Definition: --showing awe or respect towards the Lord

Verses in the Bible about it: Psalm 2:11

Serve the Lord with reverent fear, and rejoice with trembling.

Psalm 119:161

Powerful people harass me without cause, but my heart trembles only at your word.

Isaiah 66:2

My hands have made both heaven and earth; they and everything in them are mine. I, the Lord, have spoken! “I will bless those who have humble and contrite hearts, who tremble at my word.

Psalm 128:1

How joyful are those who fear the Lord— all who follow his ways!

Revelation 15:4

Who will not fear you, Lord, and glorify your name? For you alone are holy. All nations will come and worship before you, for your righteous deeds have been revealed.”

Philippians 2:12

Dear friends, you always followed my instructions when I was with you. And now that I am away, it is even more important. Work hard to show the results of your salvation, obeying God with deep reverence and fear.

Summary:

These verses are pretty clear that God will bless those who fear Him. While actual fear is a part of that, fear of God usually implies a reverence or awe of Him. It is this ‘fear’ that stands as a foundation to grow faith most often. Recognizing the power, majesty, omnipotence, all-knowing and eternal qualities of the One who created us is where true faith should begin. Without that, it is harder to see and understand just how truly amazing it is that He chooses to love us.

Conclusion for this verse:

This verse is about a woman who puts more of her time and effort into behaving in a way that honors God and shows her respect and awe for Him. She is much less concerned with her appearance or popularity. That is not to say that she is not neat or that she does not take care of herself; only that it is not her primary concern. It is obvious in previous verses that she makes sure she is dressed well and represents her household (and her God) well. But it is not those things that occupy her time and energy. She recognizes the value of eternal things over those that will pass away.

Comments: While I don’t often really get caught up in my appearance, I do find myself holding back offering my home or other things to be used for God based solely on my own feelings that it is not good enough to be used. I also will sometimes place other priorities above my God which is really what this verse is about. The woman here has decided that her love of the Lord comes first and that she won’t let anything else interfere or usurp His place. And this is what the author of the verse says should be praised; not the things that will pass away like beauty or charm.

No comments: