Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Productivity

I'm not sure I've really been doing much but I have been feeling quite productive lately.

On Monday, I was still needing to cement in the legs of Rugrat's swing set and decided, after a few minutes in the heat, to wait until evening to finish digging the post holes for the legs. Not only would it be cooler but it would also have been after the sprinklers went off so the ground would (should) have been slightly softer. In theory.

Once I had the holes dug and was feeling quite proud of myself, it occurred to me that it might not have been the smartest thing. You see, Hubby had just left for the week that morning. Digging around the backyard in the dark on the day your husband disappears might give the wrong impression to the neighbors.

Fortunately, he should be back very soon. I'm sure they'll be relieved.

I waited until Wednesday (the day the sprinklers don't go off on the timer) to put in the Quikcrete. But it's all set up now and quite stable.

I also managed to weed the front landscape bed -- again. Don't ever ignore those for six to eight months if you plan to reclaim them (even if you just introduced a toddler to your teenage household which has just taken a new job in a new state and had to sell your old house and buy a new one then move). Trust me on this. The weeds move much faster than we did.

In addition, I researched and ordered some comfrey plants. Everything I've read makes them sound even more awesome than what I initially thought. I'm sure I'll talk about those more later so I won't bore you. But I expect them this week and am super excited for them to get here.

I also finally did a soil test. We plan to get some berry bushes in the spring and I had a sneaking suspicion that the ph of our soil would need adjusting. Guess what. It does. So now I know what I'll be working on this fall.

More home made spaghetti sauce is in my freezer too. As well as a multitude of other little things that I've taken the time to get done.

I think it's that little stuff that makes me feel productive. All those loose ends that need tied up. Once they're done, the satisfaction of it is heady. And addicting. It's kept me motivated to get more of them tied up.

So that's what I've been doing. I'm not sure who this garden woman is that has taken over my body. I really don't do heat well. So I usually avoid it. Therefore, I can't figure out how I sit out in 90 degree weather pulling those annoying little green leeches out or working on plants and soil. It never has really been my cup of tea. I've always been more of a controlled climate container gardener. Oh well. I'll go with it and enjoy.

And, fortunately, God doesn't seem to mind keeping his breeze maker going. So it hasn't been bad on the days that I'm out there.

Which is more than I would have guessed. I even have my own flip flop tan lines going. :)


No comments: