Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Friday, June 21, 2013

In The Making

 I guess it's becoming a tradition now. Last time I made matching dresses/skirts for Rugrat and Big Doll (as she calls her). And here I am doing it again.

Since I made Rugrat a new dress over the weekend, I decided to use some of the leftover fabric for Big Doll and make her a new dress.
I know -- the red shoes don't match. We need to do something about that.
 

I think it will probably require a redo though. I guess I gave it too much of a seam allowance or something. It was a little snug -- not that she cared (perhaps the best thing about making clothes for dolls is that they don't complain).

I was having so much fun that I decided not to quit.

I used the skirt piece of the same pattern and made a little elastic waistband skirt for Big Doll. It's just a long rectangle of fabric with a hem on one long edge and a casing for elastic on the other. That's about the simplest skirt anyone can make.

The problem with a skirt is that you need a shirt. She has one from the outfit she was wearing when she came to our home. So I pulled up this free t-shirt pattern I had found and gave it a go.

Normally, I avoid sewing knit fabrics like the plague. But some years back I bought a walking foot for my sewing machine. They are used for knits and machine quilting.

While you don't need one for this pattern (the lady who sews it doesn't use one), I knew it would be easier if I used it. And I needed a little practice with it too.

I was really proud of how it turned out. I used the bottom of an old t-shirt I had waiting at my sewing area and managed to not even have to hem the bottom. I just moved the pattern piece down some so it wouldn't be too long.

And do you see the dot on it in the above picture? Here's a closeup:



Yes, I'm still loving the t-shirt transfer paper. I just printed it off and ironed it on while I still had the iron hot. I definitely should have made it bigger but live and learn. Next time it will be.

Big Doll will probably be getting more clothes. It's an easy way to use up scraps from other projects and they're really fun to make. Unlike Barbie clothes, they are large enough that you don't kill your fingertips or your eyes making them. And they are super quick, like half an hour for a whole outfit kind of quick.

And the best reason is how happy Rugrat gets every time I churn one out.

Especially if it matches her clothes.


Now to see about those red shoes. I saw a free pattern on a Pinterest page for making a pair of Uggs. Hmmm.

No comments: