Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Indy.....

With all the previews lately, my children have both been interested in the Indiana Jones movie coming out on the 22nd. Well, part time video store cashiers do have some perks. So I used a couple of my free rentals to bring home Raiders of the Lost Ark and Temple of Doom. And of course, next will be The Last Crusade. They've really enjoyed them. In Temple of Doom, which we watched a couple of nights ago, the palace banquet scene brought on all sorts of laughter and discussion -- particularly the part where Willie faints after being served chilled monkey brains. They were caught fast by roller coaster ride in the mining cart too. We were able to enjoy them right along with the children and perhaps more seeing them from the kid's perspectives. Of course, a strategic skip was included as the one sexually suggestive scene they all seem to have approached (thank you dvd remote 'Next' button).

I've found myself looking at more movies and shows from the 80's and 90's lately to watch with them. Among the ones they've discovered so far has been my childhood favorite, I Dream of Jeannie, which is still the bestest show there ever was as well as Groundhog Day and What About Bob?

There have been others too. But what I find amazing is the rating on these movies. As I've mentioned before, we have a TV Guardian, so language is kind of a non-issue. For the most part, that's all they have. With the bumper crop that Hollywood has put out lately, I tend to be on the lookout for sex scenes and sexual innuendo. Unless we're actually going to the theater to see it. Then all senses are on the alert. But movies from that era are decidedly tame compared to the so-called 'family' films that are coming out now.

It saddens me a great deal to know that movies that were rated in the PG's just years ago are now safer for kids than the movies today that are marketed to 5 and 6 year olds. It frustrates me to know that a movie like Speed Racer (WHICH IS BASED ON A CARTOON FOR CRYING OUT LOUD) isn't safe for a small child or that movies based on comic books and then marketed to children (because I realize that comics are not and never have been completely child-safe) contain scenes that make me tell my son to look at my face for a few moments in the theater.

But what really frustrates me is that we keep putting our dollars behind that nonsense. And as long as they are making money on that junk, we'll get more of it. I look forward to more Narnia films. And quite frankly, I hope this new one outshines all the summer blockbusters, both in quality and financially. At some juncture, maybe Hollywood will get the point.

No comments: