Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Better Than a Treat

I hope you had a good Halloween. Ours was good. This is our candy bowl awaiting trick-or-treaters. It was down to 7 bags at the end of the night.

What I wanted to show you is the little tags on the bags and share an idea for next year with you.

Several years ago, I came across a book called Redeeming Halloween through Focus on the Family. I purchased it for our church library. It was a really cool new way of looking at such holidays. The main idea was that you use it as an opportunity to plant a little seed. You light up your house. If you want to decorate, make it look sweet and charming, but you don't have to. Buy the good candy (you know the stuff I'm talking about) and pass along a little Scripture while you're at it.

The suggested ones they had were "Taste and see that the Lord is good" (Psalm 34:8) and another about how sweet are His promises. We've used those for several years but this year I decided to put a few new ones on. One was Proverbs 8:35 -- For whoever finds me finds life and receives favor from the Lord. Another was Isaiah 55:3 -- Come to me with your ears wide open. Listen and you will find life... etc. There were a couple others too all having to do with finding life when you found God.

I figured I had told them God was good the last few years. Now I'll let them know why you want to know Him. And I'd lure them in with the good candy they knew they'd get from me.

I guess some people might think that was wrong, either because you shouldn't have to 'lure' people in or maybe because we're participating in something that has such un-Christian origins and associations. And that's okay because they're entitled to their opinion.

But I will say this. Knowing what I know now about Christ, I hope someone would lure me in if I didn't have this relationship with Him. I hope they would do whatever it takes to introduce me.

And as for participating, well, we wouldn't be at all most likely (as in the couple of years before finding such good suggestions) if not for the opportunity to share God, even a tiny little piece of His word, in this way.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I love this! I am all for transforming culture, and that's a great way to do it!

Amanda said...

This is great. As a child I received a Halloween tract in my trick or treat bag once. It's been 20 years and I vividly remember it. I was raised in a Christian family so the tract was not new information, but I was impressed by the woman who gave it to me. What a great way to reach the lost! We currently don't do anything for Halloween. Due to my children's young ages, I'd prefer for them not to see many of the frightening costumes. But, in years to come, this could be a wonderful way to share Christ with many who would not have heard.