Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, January 9, 2012

Monday's Menu

In November, we went to Branson for our girl's retreat. When we were at Dixie Stampede, part of our meal was a Creamy Vegetable Soup. Now, I am not a fan of vegetable soup. At. All. But this one was very good. Rugrat even ate her whole bowl plus some of Chick's.

I think one reason I don't care for most vegetable soups is that they are tomato sauce based. I have come to the conclusion that I pretty much don't care for most soups for that reason. I like chili and taco soup but all the other soups I tend toward are cream based. And so was this one.


I kept thinking about it and finally decided to see if I could find something similar. Well, forget that. Apparently, Dolly Parton has published a book of recipes and I found this one online, supposedly taken from that book.

After making it, I have to agree that, if not the same, it is really, really close. Yum -- mee! Whatever was left over, I cleaned up for lunch the next day. It was sooo good.

The soup they served was didn't have chopped (even finely chopped) pieces of vegetables in it. I think it must have been pureed or something. There were more like specks of vegetables. I ran mine through the food chopper until they were just short of pureed and it worked fine.

I hope you'll try it out. It was "mighty fine."

Creamy Vegetable Soup

3 Tablespoons margarine
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon corn syrup
3 Tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup very finely chopped cooked vegetables (potatoes, corn, green beans, lima beans, carrots, onions)
1 pint half and half cream

In a 3 qt. saucepan, melt margarine. Whisk in onion powder, garlic powder and corn syrup. Simmer 1 minute. Add flour, pepper, slat, broth, water, and vegetables. Simmer 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in half and half. Simmer until desired consistency (it takes a while to get thick -- just be patient and keep whisking). Stir constantly, careful not to let it come to a boil. Serve warm.

No comments: