Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Thursday, October 8, 2026

Quilt Block Lessons

 After having so much trouble piecing the blocks together on the prayer quilt, I decided that maybe I needed a little practice.


So, I decided to try out several different kinds of blocks. A simple Google search will give you dozens of free quilt block tutorials. I picked out a few to start with and I'm planning to keep going and see what I learn. 


And it won't hurt to use up some of my scrap bin at the same time.


The first one was a freebie on my favorite sewing Youtube channel. It's called an economy block.



It is actually a paper pieced block. It came together so easily and all the corners matched up and were where they were supposed to be. I was pretty impressed because I always thought that paper piecing was very difficult. In fact, I kind of felt like it would be reserved for expert quilters. 

But this was not at all like that and I think it has been the easiest to get right so far.

The video is here.



The next block I tried came from one of her videos as well. This one is called Courthouse Steps. I don't think I am very good at matching up colors and patterns but this one didn't look too bad.


I did learn not to automatically cut all the sizes because I am apparently very bad at getting an accurate cut. And not so great at doing an appropriately measured seam either.

This video explained how to do this one.



While I want to try her sun block, I haven't yet sat down to do it. So my next foray into quilt blocks came from a different source.

This ugly thing is a Windmill block.


I ran out of the larger pieces in my scrap bin. So it was pretty much down to these fabrics. I actually ended up liking the way the red stands out but totally not a fan of the other two.


I found the instructions here. I think I need a little more practice before I can do these.


The next few will involve using up smaller pieces because, as I said, I don't have very large pieces in my scrap bin anymore.


Any beginner quilt blocks you would suggest?

No comments: