Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Backup, Baby!

On Monday, the kids had the day off from school. Usually we at least try to go to Wendy's or Chik-Fil-A for lunch (if not something more exciting like a movie or bowling) on their days off. But on Monday, we pretty much went nowhere -- just the Chick and I running to one place for a necessary purchase that was easier when she didn't have to deal with a schedule.

No one complained though. For one thing, it was raining. And for the other, I had work to do.

Our ladies Bible class had volunteered to take a meal to the local homeless shelter. Initially the teacher had said they would just buy some rolls to take with it. But I offered to make the rolls instead. So Monday, I spent the day doing just that.

The reason it took quite so much time though is because I calculated in my head how many batches I would need to make and then acted on that. Unfortunately, I calculated it using the amount I usually make in my bread machine -- which is a half recipe. When I made the FOUR batches of dough up though, I used the whole recipe. And only realized that I had overestimated after it would have been a terrible waste to not go ahead and finish it.

So I took 60 rolls to class yesterday morning.

And I put about 30 in our freezer which left us with another dozen or so to have with our dinner. Yikes!

Not that the family minded. At. All.

On top of that, I did three loads of laundry, made homemade Loaded Baked Potato soup, and made a snatch of that dough into hamburger buns for our home cooked hamburgers for lunch. And made three trips to the store, one of which was the aforementioned trip with the Chick.

Needless to say, by the time I left for work at 4:45, I had already had a full day. Hubby made it home about an hour before I had to leave or so and I was still a busy bee finishing up.

As he lounged on the sofa, he asked me if I had read a psalm today (our life group 'homework' for the week). When I answered, "No. I didn't have time," he responded with a disbelieving (and somewhat sarcastic), "You didn't have time to read a psalm?"

I believe I then growled something about how thankful I was that he was adding a little more stress to my to-do list for the day.

And then, (Hallelujah! - did you hear the angels?) from DIFFERENT sides of the house, BOTH -- not one -- of my children chimed out "Leave Mom alone. She's been working hard all day!" Yes. You read that right. My children came to my defense.

wiping away a tear

Hubby didn't say anything else.

Perhaps I should ply them with homemade rolls more often.

1 comment:

Mary J said...

Congratulations...I think! :)