Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Proverbs 31 Woman

Thinking back over my prayer journals, one thought comes up a lot. I want to be a better wife and mother. There is a description of a woman that begins in Proverbs 31:10 that is THE woman. I've decided to go through it one verse a week and look into what makes her tick. I can work on the same traits in my own life and maybe feel like I'm getting somewhere. Join me on Thursdays when I'll share this week's verse.

See verse 10 here.

See verse 11 here.

See verse 12 here.

*********************************

Proverbs 31:13
She finds wool and flax
and busily spins it.


Character Traits:
The words ‘finds’ and ‘busily’ seem to stick out to me.

Character Trait 1:
Finds

Definition:
--to come upon by searching, study, or effort; to obtain by effort or management; to know by experience; to gain or regain the use of

Verses in the Bible about it:
Matthew 7:8
For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.

2 Samuel 22:3
My God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety. He is my refuge, my savior, the one who saves me from violence.
1 Chronicles 29:17
I know, my God, that you examine our hearts and rejoice when you find integrity there. You know I have done all this with good motives, and I have watched your people offer their gifts willingly and joyously.
Proverbs 8:17

“I love all who love me. Those who search will surely find me.

Psalm 119:10
I have tried hard to find you—don’t let me wander from your commands.
Proverbs 3:13
Joyful is the person who finds wisdom, the one who gains understanding.

Summary:
In the context of this verse, ‘find’ here seems to be related to actively seeking. The woman doesn’t just stumble over a corner in her house and find the things she needs – she seeks them.



Character Trait 2:
Busily

Definition:
-- involved in action : actively at work; being in use; full of activity

Verses in the Bible about it:
Psalm 39:6
We are merely moving shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in nothing. We heap up wealth, not knowing who will spend it.
1 Kings 20:40

But while I was busy doing something else, the prisoner disappeared!” “Well, it’s your own fault,” the king replied. “You have brought the judgment on yourself.”

Ecclesiastes 11:6
Plant your seed in the morning and keep busy all afternoon, for you don’t know if profit will come from one activity or another—or maybe both.




Summary:
While I think the context suggests that the woman was not being lazy, I do like the verses above with a more negative perspective on busy. I think this woman has found a happy medium – being industrious without letting it become her sole priority.


Conclusion for this verse:
As a wife and mother, I think the example here is telling me not to allow my time to be used in a way that is of no benefit to my family or household. I should know my priorities and focus on them, using my time effectively. Being industrious should not take place of spending good time with my children or husband but having an excess of ‘me’ time shouldn’t keep me from doing what I can to make my household a peaceful and profitable place.

Comments:
I think this may be a place where I am severely lacking. At the end of the day, I often find myself looking around wondering where my time went and how I didn’t manage to get much done. I tend to go through peaks and valleys. Sometimes, I am humming right along doing what needs to be done and feeling good. Other times, I have to step over toys and put away laundry so I can sit down on the couch (my folding table). It is amazingly often those second days that I feel the most exhausted. It may be that the activity of doing a good job in my home reinvigorates me and keeps me going. Or maybe it’s that I am right where I am supposed to be doing what I am supposed to be doing. I am choosing to work on this area of my life now.

No comments: