Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, October 6, 2008

Monday's Meal

**Thanksgiving Menu Alert **
For the next few weeks, I'll try to mark any recipes you might want to add to your (or that I already do add to mine) Thanksgiving table with this cute little turkey.

This is a recipe my mother-in-law gave to me some time ago when I first mentioned that I wanted to try making bread. Even though I have other roll recipes, I always come back to this one because it makes good rolls and doesn't usually give me grief -- no matter the weather, flour type, or any number of other conditions that can affect such things. I have used it to make dinner rolls as well as cinnamon rolls. I usually include a bag of these rolls when I take food to someone who is ill. This is our usual roll at Thanksgiving and other big dinner occasions as well.

So as you can see, this is one of my keepers.

What follows is a half recipe so I can use my bread machine. The full recipe would overflow it (or at least that's my fear). However, I put directions for both bread machines and the traditional way to make them. You can double the recipe if you prefer or if your machine is a larger one. Feel free to ask me any questions about making them, particularly new bread makers. I'll answer if I can.

Rich Rolls

1/2 cup milk - scalded
2 1/2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/8 cup lukewarm water
1 beaten egg
a little vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 - 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 pkg. or 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast

Place ingredients in bread machine pan - liquid first, dry next, yeast on top. Set to "dough" setting. Start machine.
When machine is done, remove dough and shape into rolls. Allow to rise approximately 1/2 to 1 hour. Bake in preheated oven at 375 for 15 to 20 minutes.

Or

Combine scalded milk, butter, sugar, and salt. Cool to lukewarm. Soften yeast in warm water. Stir and combine with scalded milk mixture. Add about 1 1/2 cups flour. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Beat well. Add enough of remaining flour to make a soft dough.
Mix thoroughly. Turn onto lightly floured surface and knead about 10 minutes or until smooth and satiny. Place in warm greased bowl. Cover and let rise in warm place until double in bulk, about 2 hours.
Shape into rolls. Allow to rise approximately 1/2 to 1 hour. Bake in preheated oven at 375 for 15 to 20 minutes.

2 comments:

Mary J said...

Ok, sounds doable. But, what and how do you scald milk?

Born Blonde said...

I just heat it up, usually in a pan. I guess it might mean something else but that's what I do and it works