Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, December 15, 2008

It Just Wouldn't Be Christmas Without....

This week, every day, I'll be posting a recipe that 'It just wouldn't be Christmas without...' You know the ones. The sign to one and all at your house that Christmas has arrived. So check back daily and make them with me.

Today's is something that I think would probably make everyone's list. Fudge. I don't know of anyone who doesn't think of fudge as a winter treat. I almost never make fudge unless it is winter. It just feels wrong. But it can be found in our house very quickly once the weather turns cool.

And there are so many flavors. Of course, in my opinion, the best is the Kraft one. What wonderful creations come from the desire to sell a product! The recipe calls for chopped semi-sweet baking chocolate but I have always just used chocolate chips. Why add the extra work?

I also love peanut butter fudge. It never occurred to me before but I imagine you could just substitute peanut butter chips for the chocolate ones. I've never tried that before because I never thought of it until just now. Instead I have a recipe for it as well.

The ingredients for regular fudge are pretty simple.

The ingredients for peanut butter fudge are even easier to find in your pantry.

The most important thing to do is monitor the temperature while it is boiling.

After that you line the ugliest, most loved and well used pan you own with foil and pour in the fudge to allow it to set. Then post a picture of it on the internet to complete your shame.

And when it's all said and done, show off your work. How about filling some tins with your fudge to give as gifts.
Or just enjoy the gleeful thanks of your sugar-buzzed children.

Either way.

Whatever works.


Fantasy Fudge


3 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter or margarine
1 5 oz. can evaporated milk (about 2/3 cup)
12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 7-oz. jar marshmallow creme
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon vanilla

Line a 9-inch pan with foil. I always grease mine just to make sure it doesn't stick. Set aside.
Place sugar, butter and evaporated milk in a large heavy saucepan. Bring to a full rolling boil on medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil until candy thermometer reaches 234 degrees (or it may be listed as 'soft ball' stage). The instructions read to boil it for about 4 minutes but I always use my candy thermometer because I'm anal about stuff like that. Keep stirring it to prevent it from scorching. Remove from heat.

Add chocolate and marshmallow creme. Stir until melted. Mix in vanilla and walnuts.

Pour immediately into the prepared pan. Spread evenly. Allow to sit at room temperature until firm and completely cooled (about 4 hours). Cut into 1-inch squares.

Peanut Butter Fudge

2 cups brown sugar
2 cups white sugar
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
1 Tablespoon margarine
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla

Mix sugars with milk in large heavy pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until temperature reaches approximately 234 degrees or 'soft ball stage.'

Mix in peanut butter, margarine, and vanilla until melted and blended in. Pour into buttered pan. Let cool and cut into 1-inch pieces.

No comments: