Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Calgon... I mean,Computer, Take Me Away

I get on to the kids and Hubby a lot about being on the computer too much. I honestly, believe that Hubby may even be approaching addiction. Many of my friends complain of being on the computer too many hours. My friend, Amanda, even wrote a blog entry about why she would no longer be on Facebook that is really quite good and strikes a chord with many of us.

Really, what I'm fighting with my family is forms of escapism. My daughter is not as addicted to the computer as she is to her books. I don't have a problem with reading (and at least you don't need a Wi-Fi connection available) but if it is misused, it can be a problem of the same sort. My son is probably more likely to become addicted to video games. I dabble with all three, though less with the video game one and more with the book one.

In fact, it is one reason we have a "no screens/no recreational reading until 5:00 on school days" rule. I have found that if they know they won't get any time until after dinner basically,anyway, they tend to put more effort into homework and chores than they would have just racing through to get done so they can get to their computer time. In other homes, the "recreational reading" part wouldn't need to be added on. But as I said, the Chick can become very involved in what she's reading.

Unfortunately, combatting this in myself has come with a side effect. I feel terribly guilty when on the computer for a perfectly legitimate reason. Even with other things already done that needed to get done.

I remember someone saying that a food addiction was the worst kind because you couldn't just stop like other addictions. A human body needs food to live so you have to learn to control it. Just avoiding the source of the addiction isn't an option (unless you can live on an IV or something).

In modern society, the computer has become sort of like that. It has replaced several forms of communication, many types of shopping, typewriters, fax machines, library books, encyclopedias and even copiers to some degree. Even the simplest of tasks seem to require a computer anymore. So when I have a job to do, even sitting down to do it, gives me a lot of guilt to deal with.

I suppose its better to have the guilt than to not notice it all until the school calls at 6:00 pm. But I really would like to get rid of the guilt altogether.

1 comment:

Carol said...

I understand you dilema. I spend so much time for work on the computer and then add in fun - blog reading, shopping, facebook, that I am hitting the enough is enough wall. I am consciously not getting on in the evenings so I can read or watch some tv or do whatever. Good luck, and you are right setting limits is so important. All things in moderation applys to technology too.