Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Life Lessons Kia Style

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7

Last week my "Check Engine" light came on. I didn't freak out because I knew that I had waited too long to have my oil changed and once before I had done the same thing and the light came on because of it. But nonetheless, I began to worry a little as the week went on because I knew I wouldn't have time or funds to take care of it until Friday. And possibly not even then.

Friday arrived and I had to work for the church secretary. By the time I walked into the auto shop, I was forced to ask if they would be able to get me in and out in time. I had only 45 minutes until I had to leave and pick up my children from school. Fortunately, they had an empty bay and got right to it finishing before I had even walked next door and eaten a sandwich for lunch.

I was dismayed to see that the light was still on as I took off though. And over the weekend, as it never disappeared, Hubby and I both got really worried about it. So worried that Hubby took the kids to school yesterday morning (the opposite direction that he goes to work) while I got dressed to take it in. The shop I use had told me that my rear brakes needed new pads so I held out a vague (very vague) hope that might be the problem. And if not, I assumed they could do a diagnostic.

Before I left, however, I decided to sit down and take a minute to do my prayer journal. Over the summer, I had gotten out of habit a bit and I thought it might help some of my anxiety to pray about it. I was calm when I left.

Then I found out that apparently one of the mechanics who recently left felt that he needed the little machine that does the diagnostics more than the shop did though so they couldn't do it. And after replacing the brakes, the light was still on.

Hubby had suggested asking at one of the auto parts stores if they did such things. After all, they check your battery and alternator and I don't even know what else. So I headed to the closest one I knew of. Who promptly told me they don't do that but Autozone and Advanced Auto both do. Armed with directions, I headed to the nearest one.

By this time, I was certain the engine was going to blow itself or something within it up from all my driving around and ignoring the light. And I'm glad that nobody was testing my blood pressure.

Advanced Auto had a man in the lot testing someone else's battery and I was directed to him. He plugged the little machine in and it told us it was definitely "Working." Then the man looked at me and said "looks like you got a bad gas cap."

Huh?

"Excuse me" I said. After all, how does someone have a bad gas cap? He repeated what he said and I'm sure I gave him a look that suggested he was off his rocker. Then I reached down and popped open the fuel lock. He asked me to twist the cap so it clicked. And when I did, I realized it wasn't on all the way. I guess I never made it click when last I filled up. All I could say was,

"Oh. My. Word."

He disconnected the machine and told me to drive it and if the light came on again, I would need to purchase a new gas cap. I was informed they are cheaper from their store than from the dealership.

And I drove off in shock.

Headed to the gas station that I had decided to forgo so I could find out what was wrong before filling up.

Where I surely would have replaced the cap correctly and found that the light had gone off.

Therefore saving myself needless embarrassment.

But then I wouldn't have had this ridiculous tale to share with you. Nor would I have learned YET AGAIN that God had it under control and my worrying was just giving me wrinkles and getting me nowhere.

No comments: