Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, October 5, 2009

Monday's Menu

On the Dude's Thursday cooking day, he wanted to serve fish. Actually, they both seem to want fish a lot. Maybe we don't eat enough fish. Hmm. That's a thought.

Anyway, he decided on some frozen breaded fish fillets and a side. And I had wanted to try this recipe, which I found in a Woman's Day magazine. So I got the ingredients necessary to make it for his other side.

He kind of freaked out when he found out it had clams in it. So did the Chick. Because of the bacon, it kind of started out brownish and he made all kinds of derogatory comments as we proceeded. Once we got to the point that it was mostly done and simmering before adding the clams, I told him I thought it looked really good. Because it did.

At that point, he grudgingly agreed that it looked edible and he wouldn't mind it if I just left out the clams. Maybe I'll do that next time. But I already had the cans open. So we added them.

Despite her uncomplimentary comments, the Chick just about inhaled hers.

Dude, well, not so much. He fussed and fussed. But I think he felt that after all his carrying on, he had to put up a fuss. So his opinion is subject to dismissal as a result.

By the way, Hubby and I enjoyed ours too. So that gives it a pretty good rating (especially since the Dude's is suspect). If you don't like clams, I think this would work without them. As I said we both thought it looked yummy at the pre-clam stage.

I also figured out that you need to mostly cook the bacon before adding the onions to cook. They get done much faster which contributed to the brown color I mentioned.

So who's side are you on? Ours or the Dude's? Let me know if you try it.


Hearty Clam Chowder

3/4 lb. red potatoes, diced
3 slices bacon, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp. thyme
2 cans (6.5 oz. each)
1 can (10.75 oz.) cream of celery soup
1 cup milk

Place potatoes with enough water to cover in a glass bowl and microwave for 10 minutes or until tender. In a large saucepan, cook bacon until mostly done and then add onion and finish cooking. Add garlic and thyme; cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add clam juice to bacon mixture, reserving clams. Stir in potatoes with 3/4 cup of cooking liquid, the soup and the milk. Whisk to combine and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes. Add clams and cook 2 minutes.

1 comment:

bekster said...

How does one not know right off that clam chowder has clams in it?