Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

At the End of the Lens

Trying to take a family photo is... well,... interesting, let us just say. I got a card recently from a good friend with perfectly adorable pictures of her children on the front and a series of pictures inside that were the attempted shots with one child crying or one missing, etc.

Let me just say that it doesn't get easier just because the children/family is older. We took a couple of shots in our backyard this weekend for our cards. And then I downloaded them to the computer.

When I opened the first shot, I distinctly heard the theme song from the Beverly Hillbillies. Someone had just put on some pants and the insides of their pockets were showing -- in fact, they were hanging out. That same someone had half their shirt tucked and half untucked. Someone had managed to stand about a foot closer to the camera than the rest of the family and so looked a little like Jethro next to 3 Granny's. Have you ever seen the Billy Crystal movie "My Giant?"

We also attempted an inside picture. Upon opening those, I found that my son's ear had a dog tush coming out of it. It looked somewhat painful, I must say.

Hubby, on the other hand, seems to have perfected the startled deer look. I'm not sure if he is trying to convey that he's an innocent victim (he doesn't know how he got there or what he's supposed to do) or if he is shocked by the flash. Poor Hubby wasn't exposed to much picture taking as a child and then married the daughter of a photographer which thrust him in front of the lens on a regular basis. Maybe he is an innocent victim.

Professionals don't help either. A few years ago, we took a family picture that I thought had turned out quite well. When we got the portraits in and at home though, I found that I had been staring at the wrong camera with my unwavering smile. So I look as if I am examining something funny on the ceiling. How nice. My mother's friend redeemed that one though. She said I was praying and thanking God for making everyone be still for 30 seconds to take the shot.

I guess family pictures are just one of those things. When they turn out right on the rare occasion, we have more reason to rejoice. And if they were perfect all the time, none of us would really think they looked like our family. Which is probably what makes them so special.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aw, man! I was so hoping that this picture difficulty thing was just a phase!