Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, September 5, 2011

Monday's Menu

I learned to love gyros a few years ago in a place in Charleston named Manny's. Dude was a little leery of the whole euro-meat thing but they had burgers and the like for him.

It's actually pretty amazing that I tried them. I'm not terribly adventurous in the food department. Hubby gets frustrated because 90 percent of the time, I'd just as well have the one thing I like at a place. Subway is an example. I really love their meatball sub. I have ever since I first tried one. I don't really need another sandwich. The fact that I've tried others is more due to Hubby getting tired of taking the same thing on the other half of the footlong than my own adventurousness. I'm like that with a lot of places too.

It had never occurred to me either to try making gyros at home until I saw the recipe here. Guess what. Everyone loved them. And they could choose whether or not to put on the cucumber sauce (which was sometimes forgotten when ordering at restaurants).

I also made home made pitas to use with them but I'll share that later.


Grilled Ground Beef Gyros

Sauce:
1 8-ounce container plain yogurt
1/3 cup chopped seeded cucumber
2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon sugar
Filling:
1 lb. lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
4 pita breads
shredded lettuce
tomato, chopped
onion, chopped

In a bowl, combine sauce ingredients (I used my hand blender on it to smooth it out but you don't have to). Cover and refrigerate. In separate bowl, combine ground beef and seasonings. Mix well. Shape into 4 patties. Grill until cooked through. Cut patties into thin slices. Stuff into pitas with lettuce, onion, and tomato. Serve with sauce.

No comments: