Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Bloomin' Dadgum Flower Beds

I don't like weeding flower beds!

And that's all I have to say about that.

Ok. You know me better than that. I'm trying to decide how to 'landscape' -- something about which I know nothing. I'm thinking there are some online tools I can use to decide what to do. But first I have to get all the weeds out.

They looked better (but not a whole lot) when we got this house. I'm thinking they didn't bother putting down the black weed paper before the mulch. On top of that, we moved in right before one of the hottest summers here in a while... so I understand. All the grass was crunchy when you walked on it. And we have a sprinkler system! I was forced to put it on alternating days though. Both the young trees they had planted as well as the two we had put in died from the drought and heat. And we now have a grand total of three surviving bushes to the six we initially had. So, yeah, it was a little rough.

Our plan is to plant some pecan trees in the fall (their planting time frame) and we'd like to put in some flowers. Hubby is not about having bushes that are just green. Too bad neither of us has a clue.

Problem is, I'm not sure how to go about getting one. Guess I'll have to muddle through like I usually do.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Could you do some vegetable garden landscaping? I haven't tried it, but I have heard of families skipping regular landscaping and using the flower beds to grow pretty veggies or berry bushes. You could google vegetable landscaping or edible landscaping for some ideas. You might also think about clearing the flower bed, covering it with the black plastic, and then mulching it. Then do a container garden sitting in the mulched area. It would not need so much water, and you could move the plants around when the weather is too hot. Just some thoughts.