Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, October 15, 2012

Monday Menu

I've seen the recipe for Chicken Spaghetti several times on Pioneer Woman's site and in her recipe book but I always passed it over because I thought it just didn't seem all that fabulous. But after trying it at my friend's house during Bunko, I decided I would make if for the fam and see what they thought.

It was a hit even though I was told by Dude that he still preferred "regular spaghetti."  I will be adding it to our menu rotation (as Hubby puts it).

I did not use a whole fryer as she does. Rather, I chopped up some cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts into chunks and substituted chicken broth from bouillon.

One other note: We began using whole wheat pasta several years ago rather than white. The whole wheat spaghetti comes in a 13.75 ounce package rather than a 16 ounce. I still only used one package of pasta but I cut the broth to 1 1/2 cups in order to make up for it.

I wish that I had also halved the amount of seasoned salt as well. The full amount is just too salty for me especially when using broth from bouillon rather than from cooking the chicken.

Be sure to check the package of spaghetti to make sure of the amount. Lots of companies are downsizing packages to cut costs (not just in specialty things like whole wheat pasta either) and it can cause problems with your recipes.

Below is what I did. For the full original recipe, go to her site above.


Chicken Spaghetti

 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into chunks (about 2 cups)

1 lb. thin spaghetti, broken into 2-inch pieces
1 small onion, diced
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt, such as Lawry's
black pepper
 1 1/2 - 2 cups chicken broth


Cook spaghetti. Drain and place in a large bowl. Mix in chicken chunks, onion, soup, and 2 cups of the cheese. Add seasoned salt and pepper. Mix well. Add broth a small amount at a time, mixing as you do, until all is used. Pour into a large greased baking dish. Sprinkle top with remaining cheese. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until bubbly and cheese is melted.



No comments: