Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, March 17, 2014

Monday's Menu

One of the things that Hubby must have on hand is peanut butter. He starts to twitch if it is out of the house for very long (or get very irritable - I'll have to tell you a story about that some time).

And one of his favorite ways to eat his peanut butter is with crackers. Unfortunately, he has had a rough time of that lately. It is very hard to find crackers without junk in them. The only ones I have been buying are the Triscuit knockoffs at Aldi. Even they have hydrogenated oil in them but boast only whole wheat and salt as the other ingredients. I'll deal with the oil since this is one of the about two things we eat with it. I still buy Tostitos too since they are the same way.

Well, he likes Triscuits but not as much as good, old-fashioned saltines or the preferable wheat crackers. Last night, I remembered a cracker recipe in the first Tightwad Gazette. I pulled it out hoping that it was a saltine recipe but it was for a wheat cracker. I mentioned it and Hubby said, "I could get behind a recipe for some homemade Wheat Thins."

I decided I would give it a try but kept searching for saltine recipes when I came across this site, which included recipes for saltines, cheese crackers, and wheat crackers. I spent the next hour checking out a lot of the posts. She sounds like my kind a' gal. I'm thinking I may have found a good resource for a lot of the foods I've been struggling with replacing.

I gave the wheat crackers a try today. I wanted to post the pictures as proof to Hubby that I actually did make them. If Rugrat and Chick get their way, it will be the only proof I have.


What's sad is that the whole process is ridiculously simple. You just mix together wheat flour, sugar, salt and melted butter with a little water. Then roll it out thin and use a pizza cutter to divide it into squares. Bake them about 10 minutes and you're done.
 

They will burn easily. I found out when I thought they needed one more minute so I turned off the oven and went to the mailbox. When I came back, several had gotten too brown. I probably should have just taken them out at the 10 minute mark.

As I pulled them out of the oven, Rugrat came running over asking what 'smells so good' and I managed to convince her to wait until they cooled a little.

But not long.


Chick came running down the stairs about the same time Rugrat ran into the kitchen. Chick popped a hot one in her mouth though and wasn't willing to wait.

The do taste amazingly like Wheat Thins; I just should have added a little more salt. It makes me wonder why they feel the need to add a bunch of junk to them. I really don't think crackers could get much cheaper to make than these.

Oh well.

If you'd like to give it a try, the original recipe is here or check below. She has pictures too so it's a good thing to look at.



Wheat Crackers

1 1/2 c. wheat flour
4 T. butter
1 1/2 T sugar
1/2 t. salt plus a little
1/4 c. water (more or less)

 In a bowl, mix together the sugar, wheat flour, and salt. Add in the melted butter. Mix until crumbly. Slowly add in the water. You may need more or less. Roll the dough out until it's very thin. (It will not rise at all so just roll it out to be the thinness you desire to eat!) You will need to roll out the dough on parchment paper if you aren't using a stone so it doesn't stick. Score your crackers with a pizza cutter and sprinkle on some salt. Bake at 400F for about 15 minutes. Watch the crackers after 10 minutes to make sure they don't get too done.

No comments: