Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Monday's Menu

I have finally, I think, found my favorite biscuit recipe. I have tried and stuck with Angel Biscuits for the longest.

Most recipes for plain old biscuits never turned out as soft and fluffy as I liked.

Others used self-rising flour which I dislike buying simply because, in addition to forcing me to buy and store two different kinds of flour, is also very limited because different recipes call for different amounts of baking powder, baking soda, and salt. It is easier to me to mix up what I need using basic ingredients than to deal with what is essentially a mix.

My problem with angel biscuits is that they require yeast because they are intended to be mixed up the night before and stored in the fridge until morning so that you can make them quickly.

Then I saw a recipe on the back of my Bob's Red Mill unbleached flour -- "Bob's Old-Fashioned Biscuits." This is the one I have made regularly for the past couple of months or more with very good results. It is quick and easy with only six ingredients. And all of the ingredients are basic stuff.

The one tip for making these is to NOT use a baking sheet despite the directions on the bag. They make a little extra butter when they warm up. Until I learned to put them in a pan with sides, I kept setting off my smoke alarm (not something you want to do on Saturday mornings at 8 am) when the butter leaked off the pan onto the bottom of my hot oven.

And these are light and fluffy. Even Hubby has remarked that these are the best biscuits in his opinion. I also like that whatever is left the next day is still soft -- not crumbly like angel biscuits were.

This one is definitely a keeper! Let me know if you give them a try.



Bob's Old-Fashioned Biscuits

2 cups flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons butter
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Cut in butter with pastry blender until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk and stir until dough comes together. Turn dough onto floured surface and knead about 15 times. Pat to 1 inch thickness. Cut biscuits out with biscuit cutter. Place into pan with sides. Bake 12-15 minutes until golden brown.

No comments: