Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, August 29, 2022

Monday's Menu

 Normally, now-a-days, I prefer to use things that don't come from boxes and cans but rather from basic ingredients. But there are times when you need something quick and just haven't had time to do it justice in the way you want. Or make it from scratch (which in my humble opinion always tastes better).

Baked beans is one of those things. You can look at the homemade recipe I have here and see that it is (at least, in my case) a multi-day thing or, at the very least, a half day endeavor. So, if I am called upon at the last minute for a side dish like baked beans... well, it ain't gonna happen using my usual recipe.

This one is a little quicker. And, while I would say its claim that they taste like homemade is exaggeration, they still taste better than right out of the can. This is a good one to have on hand for those last minute situations like I mentioned above though.

I will say that I am looking at a couple of canning recipes right now where I could have my own handmade baked beans ready to go. But I haven't given them a try yet.

This recipe originally came from here.


How to make canned baked beans taste homemade

1 28-oz. can baked beans
3 Tablespoons brown sugar, packed
1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
2 Tablespoons ketchup
3 slices bacon, if desired

Preheat oven to 375. In a 9-inch oven proof skillet or greased baking dish, mix together the beans, brown sugar, mustard and ketchup. Top with the bacon slices and bake until bubbling around the edges and hot in the center -- about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.

No comments: