Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Something Worth Fighting For

I've been doing this Bible study book by Casandra Martin about the names of God. It is wasn't what I was expecting really but I've stuck with it and been learning quite a bit. I had wanted a study, I guess, on the descriptors of God but instead this one focuses on His Hebrew names. So the confusion was my fault not hers.

One of the reasons I've stuck with it though is the way that she surprises me by making me think about something I hadn't really before. That's the way it was today. I had never really understood the story in Exodus 17 when the Israelites are fighting the Amalekites and Moses has to hold up the staff. I always wondered why God didn't just strike them. Boom! No more Amalekites. She suggests though that God was teaching them something with the event.

The staff represents God Himself. It is the same that Moses used to wield God's power before Pharoh and to bring water, etc. The people knew it was a symbol of God. When Moses held it up, they were winning. When he drooped, they were losing. I don't think I ever got that before. This is our spiritual battle. We need God to win. When he is our banner (Jehovah-Nissi), we can win but if we don't have His banner over us, we're going to lose big time.

She pointed out too that the Amalekites attacked when the Israelites were exhausted from their journey. Isn't that the time when its easiest to lose the battle? It seems like when I'm worn out from life, stressed from everything going on, and just plain tired, that's when temptations hit. That's when I go nuts all over people I love or do something I hate. I let my banner droop and I stop looking at it.

Thank goodness for my friends and family. Aaron and Hur come and hold up Moses' arms. How many times has a friend called me just when I was at my lowest? Or patted me on the back and told me they loved me? It makes me think maybe I need to try a little harder to be there for my loved ones. Sometimes it can be a little messy. I think our initial reaction is to back off and leave them alone because of that. God forgive me when I do.

So to every loved one I have who reads this, thank you. I need you. And I'm grateful for you. If you'll hold up my arms, I'll do my best to hold up yours. And in the end we'll be standing under the banner of our Lord as victors. How's that for a happy ending!

No comments: