Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, February 2, 2009

Monday's Meal

Okay. Here it is. This is our absolute favorite way to have chicken and pork chops (and I suppose whatever else you want to try). After seeing that I hadn't yet posted it, I just had to make it the next one. I got it from Tightwad Gazette and I think she got it from a book called Cheaper and Better. I have them both but the second one is no longer in print and I had to get it used.

This is something you make up and store in the back of the fridge until you need it. To use it, you just spoon some into a zip bag or a bowl with a tight fitting lid. Rinse off your meat, shake off excess water, and drop them into the bag/bowl. Close up your bag/bowl. Shake it to coat the meat. Remove it and put into a greased casserole dish. I usually bake it about 30 minutes at 425 degrees. And I always flip the meat about half way through.

It's very, very good. The chick once told me I should open a restaurant that served this chicken. When I told her I might not want to make it anymore at home if I had to do it all day, she decided the restaurant was a bad idea.

So here goes. Make up some today.

And as always, let me know if you try it and how your family liked (or didn't like).

Homemade (Shake and) Bake Coating

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups crackermeal (ground up saltines)
2 Tablespoons salt
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 Tablespoons paprika
1/8 cup vegetable oil

Mix well and store in refrigerator in covered container. I usually begin grinding the crackers in my food processor and then gradually add everything else -- even the oil -- using the processor to mix it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am very excited about this recipe, as it meets my three top requirements for meals: easy, delicious, and cheap, in that order. And it involves chicken, which might be considered my fourth requirement. I'll let you know how we like it!