Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, November 2, 2009

Monday's Menu

A good friend asked me if I had a good recipe for Broccoli Cheese Soup and if I might share it. Broccoli Cheese Soup is one of my favorites. It's only competition is Loaded Baked Potato Soup. If a restaurant has one of these two, we're good to go. I'm a happy camper.

When looking at my list there on the side, I realized that she was right. I never have shared this recipe. I originally found it here. And you would think, since I like the stuff so much, it would have been one of the first few I shared. So I wholeheartedly apologize to anyone who has been missing out because of my negligence. Here goes.

It starts with a whole lot of this...

In fact, if you want it to taste more like restaurant versions, you might want to half the cheese even. It is very, VERY cheesy.

A few more ingredients and probably less than a half an hour later, you could have the good stuff already in the pot.

Another tip I found in the comments of the original recipe was to use onion flakes rather than chopped onions. The flavor is apparently the same but the soup end result is much less chunky and a lot more smooth.

Well, except for the chunks of broccoli. It also occurs to me that you could make the soup and then run it through a processor to make it one smooth puree. But I haven't tried that personally.

Hope you enjoy!


Broccoli Cheese Soup

2 cups water
1 teaspoon powdered chicken bouillon
1 lb chopped broccoli (either frozen or fresh)
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1/4 cup butter or margarine
3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 lb. processed American cheese, cubed (this could be like a Velveeta type loaf or you could also use the sandwich slices if you wish)

In a large saucepan, bring water and bouillon to a boil. Add broccoli. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 3-4 minutes or to desired tenderness. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup liquid. Using empty saucepan (or another one if you like to do dishes), saute onion in butter/margarine until tender. Whisk in flour until blended. Add milk and cheese. Cook over medium heat until cheese is melted and smooth, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Stir in broccoli and reserved liquid. Serve warm.

No comments: