Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

What We Did on Halloween

A few years ago, we decided not to do the trick or treating thing anymore. Instead, we found a better alternative.

The State Fair! (By the way, I just love that picture! I took it from the skyride and I think it's so pretty the way the colors reflect off the pond.)

We are all day state fair-ers. We have arrived on occasion when they open the gates and not left until they close them that night. On Saturday, we got there when it opened (noon) and managed to get to the gates just as they were opening them up. We didn't leave until 9 or 9:30 that night.

One thing that's nice about early arrival is that our parking spot is close enough to go back to the car if we need to. We did actually need to for once (for a snack that wouldn't cause a house mortgage -- we were waiting to eat fair food for dinner) and discovered that at about 4:00 in the afternoon, you can move the car up even closer. We were actually on the first row of parking, without being in the handicapped section, when we trudged out exhausted at the end of the night.


This is actually one of my favorite rides. It pretty much takes you way way way up...
and then drops you down really fast. I love it! Didn't get to do it on Halloween though.

Everyone else in the family is skittish and the line of normal people (you know, ones who like it too) was way long once I could go on. I could've gotten on it early in the day but the Dude said he would ride it with me. He was being more adventurous this year. He finally admitted he didn't want to though. The little coward!

Okay. He's not a coward. At least he wanted to try. Nobody else would.

Which, by the way, I totally don't get. Hubby told him he'd give him $5.00 if he rode the Ring of Fire with him. If you don't know what the Ring of Fire is, it's a big ring (didn't see that one coming, did you) standing on end. The cars just go in a big circle and at the top the riders are upside down. Then the ownership hires the most sadistic monster of a person they can possibly find to laugh maniacally as he/she/it makes the thing stop upside down and jerk backward and forward.

And this is more scary than going up and down? Guess what, I didn't get a picture but Hubby's out 5 bucks. Yeah, that totally makes sense.

I also didn't get a picture of Pharoh's Fury. This is the big boat that rocks back and forth in an arc. Near the end it rocks high enough that you are at a sort of 90 degree angle to the ground. And that's it. Also a favorite of mine. Like a big swing at the park.

The Chick rode this with me a couple years ago and was fine until the motion lifted her off her seat for about two seconds. She was still held securely by the bar. But that was it! She declared me the cruelest of monsters and will not ride it with me again.

She does not however, apparently, have a problem dangling in the air well above the sky ride like a Christmas ornament on chains that measure only slightly larger than a toothpick.

Uh. Yuh huh?

Why's she taking a picture of this?

Well, the Dude rode the boat with me this year. Once.

That about sums it up.

His face was squinched up so tight the whole time I seriously thought he was about to throw up before we were done.

It didn't seem to bother him to get on the Zipper though. This is another torture device powered by a maniacally laughing employee from the insane asylum. They basically lock you in a small box and twirl you around like a pinwheel.

Yeah. That sounds like a laugh a minute to me.

This is after the ride (which, by the way, required a little sit down by my pasty faced Hubby). Once his own twirling had stopped he managed to snag a picture of the Chick and I doing a little twirling of our own -- but NOT upside down.

Of course, no matter how old we get, we'll have to visit the fun houses. I think those were my favorites as a young'un.

I caught the Chick exiting via slide. Good timing, huh.

Um. I was a little fast on the draw for the Dude.

I think walking through the spinning wheel was always one of my favorite parts. It's so "Grease"-like.
Still with the pictures. Somebody get that thing away from her!

We started a tradition a few years ago of purchasing an elephant ear or funnel cake as we leave to enjoy in the car before pulling out into the mayhem of exit traffic. So we didn't forget this year. We got one with hot fudge drizzled over the powdered sugar.

Now that's the kind of Halloween treat I like.

No comments: