Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, September 13, 2010

Monday's Menu

During my Eat from the Freezer weeks, I realized that I had about 3 packages of smoked sausages in my freezer and, in fact, just about always have at least one. But we usually eat it as sandwiches. We like to cut off a chunk, heat it in the microwave, and slice it in half for eating on bread or a bun.

But since I was looking to use things in the freezer, I decided I should find a recipe using smoked sausage. Well, the one that pops immediately to mind is of course Red Beans and Rice. I made it for dinner one night and my children absolutely loved it. One of them even requested it in their lunch the next day. And I had to wonder why I had never thought to make it before.

This is very easy to make. It's amounts can also be adjusted as you like. There is very little liquid in my modified version, however, if you'd like more you can either add a little of the liquid from the kidney beans or throw in a can of diced tomatoes with their juice as in the original recipe. Enjoy!

Red Beans and Rice

Cooked Rice (appx. 1 cup when uncooked)
2 Tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
16 oz. smoked sausage, thinly sliced
1 15-oz. can kidney beans, drained

Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion and green bell pepper. Cook until tender. Stir in sausage and cook until evenly browned. Mix in beans and continue cooking until heated through. Serve over rice.

No comments: