Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, December 27, 2010

Day 2

Merry Christmas! Today we got up and headed out to visit a Jade Factory. Then we spent some time at the Great Wall of China. I was really hyped to go to it. Unfortunately, this pic shows just about how far I actually got. The steps were really steep and they weren't the same height. Some of them were the same height as my foot to my knee. Not to mention the fact that it was ridiculously cold (even wearing two pairs of sock and gloves, two shirts, a sweater, my coat, a scarf, and my pj pants underneath my jeans). It literally was hard to breathe because it was so cold. Although I will admit I didn't suffer like the day before though. Hubby is such a stud! He climbed to the top of the section we entered and then came back down for me. I decided that everything else was enough to stop me especially when I turned around and caught how high it was. While I was waiting however, I , at one point, found myself in the way of a young Asian man who was taking his girlfriend's picture so I moved away from behind her. He jabbered a little at me in a very nice way and took his picture. Then he took her arm and started leading her in my direction saying something to me all the way. I was standing in front of a cut out spot in the wall with a good view so I smiled and moved away so he could get it in his picture. He started smiling and talking, all the while gesturing at me. I finally figured out that he wanted me to get in the picture with his girlfriend. I was a little flustered so I stood there smiling for him so he could have a crazy American stranger in his photo while the friends from my group stood to the side and tittered at the whole thing. Not for long though. Because next the three of us were approached by a Kurdish man (we found out later) who also wanted a crazy American picture. He and his friend were both very nice and exclaimed "U.S.A." for us. They were terribly impressed that we had come so far and wished us a safe journey as they wandered away. I'm not sure I understand the draw of having a stranger of another nationality in my photos but I do know that just about everywhere we go here, people get excited about us and point us out. Yesterday, we were standing on a street corner listening to our guide while a local man walked around us taking pictures with his phone. So many Americans in one place. I'm having to fight my suspicious nature as I see what a novelty we are. I'm sure we will be even more so once Emily joins us. But I guess it's kind of fun being the center of attention. We also enjoyed another family style lunch together today and stopped by the Olympic village on our way back. After that, we went to an acrobatics show. It was pretty amazing -- very Cirque de Soleil. I was so absolutely exhausted though that I kept trying to nod off. We got back to the hotel, grabbed the Chinese version of Subway, and passed out cold. Only to awaken about 2:00 am. I haven't finished with the jet lag just yet. That's okay though. Tomorrow we fly to Zhengzhou where we will soon receive our new daughter.

No comments: