Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Proverbs 31 Woman

Thinking back over my prayer journals, one thought comes up a lot. I want to be a better wife and mother. There is a description of a woman that begins in Proverbs 31:10 that is THE woman. I've decided to go through it one verse a week and look into what makes her tick. I can work on the same traits in my own life and maybe feel like I'm getting somewhere. Join me on Thursdays when I'll share this week's verse.
P.S. please forgive all the funky fonts -- blogger and word apparently do not get along. i try to fix it as I catch it but sometimes it jumps right back to the weird stuff.

See verse 10 here.

See verse 11 here.

See verse 12 here.

See verse 13 here.

See verse 14 here.

See verse 15 here.

See verse 16 here.

See verse 17 here.


*******************************************

Proverbs 31:18
She makes sure her dealings are profitable;
her lamp burns late into the night.

Character Traits:
profitable

Definition:
--producing a
gain or benefit from something

Verses in the Bible about it:
Ecclesiastes 11:6
Plant your seed in the morning and keep busy all afternoon, for you don’t know if profit will come from one activity or another—or maybe both.

Isaiah 23:18

But in the end her profits will be given to the Lord. Her wealth will not be hoarded but will provide good food and fine clothing for the Lord’s priests.

2 Corinthians 2:17

You see, we are not like the many hucksters who preach for personal profit. We preach the word of God with sincerity and with Christ’s authority, knowing that God is watching us.

Summary:
This character trait is related a lot to earlier ones. I think this particular clump of verses is just reinforcing again what a hard worker she is and how she is always checking to be sure that what she is doing will not financially (or probably otherwise) harm her family. Her lamp burns late because she is working to do just that.

Conclusion for this verse:
Active and working seem to be her code words. The writer here wasn’t content to say that she is a hard worker who keeps vigilant over her family and their finances. The examples of these traits in her life are numerous enough to provide proof. These are not just conclusions that some random person happened to make based on one or two instances and he is making it clear. She IS hard working. She IS vigilant. And her family has received the benefit of her presence.

Comments:
I would like to know that someone one day could look at my life and be able to say, “She lived for the Lord.” I hope that the examples that he or she could point to would be too numerous to count.

Not because I did those things to be seen though. Rather because they were simply there – a part of my life that was woven into my days in such a way that it seemed only a section of the bigger part. I would not want it to be one thing that stood out but instead a continuous stream of small things that showed up on a daily basis. Much like this woman’s life.

No comments: