Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, April 2, 2012

Monday's Menu

If you've been reading for any time at all, you know I stink at making Chinese food. Last week, I had a partial beef roast that I wanted to use but no clue what to make. So I decided to (following a Chopped episode or two) cut it into slices and try a beef Chinese dish.

Although this recipe was labeled as teriyaki, it definitely was not teriyaki. I decided to give it a try out of curiosity. Everyone liked it a lot.

It certainly wasn't teriyaki sauce though. It made me think more of a brown gravy type of thing. I have tasted something like it in Chinese buffets before. I think it might be more aptly labeled Beef and Broccoli. Give it a try.



Beef and Broccoli

1 lb. boneless beef sirloin (or you can improvise like I did)
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 3/4 cups chicken or beef broth
1/2 teaspoon ginger
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
4 cups fresh broccoli florets
cooked rice

Slice beef into very thin strips. Saute beef until cooked through in skillet. In small mixing bowl, combine cornstarch, broth, soy sauce, sugar, ginger and garlic. Mix well. Remove meat from skillet. Saute broccoli a few minutes until bright green and steamed through. Remove from heat. Mix cornstarch mixture once more to redistribute and add to skillet or saucepan. Cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring frequently (I would use a whisk to prevent lumps). Mix in meat and broccoli, stirring to coat in sauce. Serve over rice.

No comments: