Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, May 13, 2013

Monday's Menu

Last week, I had intentions of posting a little more frequently. I even congratulated myself for starting off on Monday. And then, suddenly, it was the weekend and the only post I had put up was that single Monday one. It is definitely a busy month for us.


In South Carolina, I worked at one or two evenings at Blockbuster. I mostly took something with me for my dinner but on occasion we would grab something from the local businesses. One lady in particular used to get a pretty regular craving for Chinese food. That was ok with me since Chinese is my favorite.

My meal of choice from the takeout place was Sesame Chicken. I happened upon this recipe in one of my magazines (All You) and decided to give it a try. We all ate it up. It was very good and tasted a lot like what came in that Styrofoam container.

 I was afraid if I waited to make it all pretty on a plate next to the steamed broccoli and rice, I might not get a picture at all so here it is in the skillet. Sorry.




The original called for using cutlets but I wanted to make it more like what I used to order, so I cut the chicken into strips/chunks. It was just as the note on the picture exclaimed, "Quick and Easy" too.



Sesame Chicken

2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
1/4 cup honey
3 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoons ketchup
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips or chunks
1/2 cup flour
2-4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped

Toast sesame seeds in small, dry skillet stirring frequently, until golden brown.

In a small bowl, mix honey, soy sauce, ketchup, and sesame oil.

Place flour in a bowl with a lid or zip lock bag. Add chicken pieces, close lid, and shake until chicken is coated. Warm 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil in skillet. Begin cooking chicken pieces (removing them one at a time and shaking off excess flour) in oil until done, adding remaining oil if needed. Transfer chicken to a plate.

Add garlic to skillet and cook, stirring, about 30 seconds. Stir in honey mixture. Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add chicken turning to coat in sauce (add a Tablespoon of water if too thick). Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.

No comments: