Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, July 28, 2014

Monday's Menu

I love Chinese food. I have since I was introduced to it. But I have always had a hard time cooking it.

I have always quailed at the idea of making egg rolls especially. But after seeing a recipe with photos for them on one of my new favorite sites, I decided to give it a try.

And they were very good!


It requires purchased egg roll wrappers, but I figured even with that I cut out a lot of the nonsense that came in the ones in the freezer section. Ones that I haven't been buying since we started changing how we eat.

 I have seen and used to have a recipe to make my own wonton skins/egg roll wrappers so I know it's possible to cut out even the junk in that. But since this was my first time to even try these, I figured I could give myself a break and work up to a totally home made egg roll eventually.

It was totally worth it to make them. And, since it made about 19 egg rolls, I was able to put a bunch in my own freezer so that I now have home made ones for the next time without spending the time to make them.

You can fry them or bake them too. So, it's up to you how to cook them. The original recipe is here and she shows you exactly how to roll them there with pictures. It's pretty easy and quick. I probably spent maybe 10 minutes rolling mine and I used a tablespoon to measure out the filling exactly. I did leave out the red pepper that she calls for so if you use the original recipe and add it, you might get more. I also would prefer not to use canola oil if I could help it and probably stick with coconut oil or the baking option.

So there you are. Get adventurous and give them a try!



Home made Egg Rolls
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
  • 3/4 lb ground pork
  • 6 tbsp canola oil, divided
  • 1/2 white onion, diced
  • 2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated or minced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups shredded cabbage
  • 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
  • 12 egg roll wrappers
  • oil for frying (optional)
In a medium-sized bowl, combine chicken broth, soy sauce,honey and rice wine vinegar. Set aside.
Brown ground pork over medium heat until cooked through.
Meanwhile, warm 2 tbsp canola oil over medium heat.  Add peppers and onion and sauté for 3 - 5 minutes, until translucent.  Add ginger and garlic, and continue to sauté for another 30 seconds.  Add cabbage, carrot, cooked pork and reserved chicken broth blend and stir.  Continue to cook for another 5 minutes.  Add sesame oil, and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
To roll the egg rolls, lay an egg roll wrapper on a plate or cutting board, and add 2 tbsp of filling mixture to the center of the wrapper. Grab the end nearest you, and fold over the mix, then pull back to tuck the mixture in. Fold over the right side on top then the left side on top. Using a drop of water on your fingertip, trace the triangle tip of the egg roll with water to make it sticky and adhesive, which will bind the wrapper to itself.  Then roll the egg roll forward. Keep the egg roll wrappers and egg rolls under a clean towel while rolling, to keep them from drying out.
Over medium heat, warm 4 tbsp canola oil in a wok or skillet.
Fry in batches, making sure not to overcrowd the pan, and fry until browned, flipping halfway through.  Remove from oil and let cool on a paper towel. If you don't want to fry these egg rolls, you can bake them instead! Bake at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until lightly browned. 

No comments: