Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, June 29, 2015

Monday's Menu

A week or two ago, we hosted our home group meeting. We made pulled pork sandwiches for the meal. Then Hubby suggested we have some coleslaw as well. While he generally does NOT eat coleslaw, I will eat it occasionally even though it isn't my favorite thing. Because of that, where I have eaten coleslaw is usually a restaurant or someone's house. I don't really make my own.

But Hubby knew that some people like to put it on pulled pork sandwiches and he thought it would also give us an extra side dish to accompany the chips I had already purchased. So I looked up a recipe.

I know you can buy a bag of slaw and just mix mayo into it but that really isn't very good in my opinion. Plus I was hoping to find something that would give me softer slaw. It seems like the cabbage is always hard or, at best, crisp when you do it that way. I didn't really find how to make the cabbage soften up though so I just decided to make it ahead and let it sit in the dressing which might soften it up.

 And it did, though not as much as I had hoped. I think the key to that would be to shred it yourself into thinner shreds so that it could soak up more of the dressing. I also did not add the onion because one of our home group members doesn't do raw onion. I might the next time I try it though.

I found that this dressing was very pepper-y. So I made a note on it to not add any pepper next time. It comes from Bobby Flay and Food Network. It didn't taste pepper-y to me when I first made it so I think it got stronger as it sat in the refrigerator.

Otherwise, I thought it turned out really well. And everyone, while agreeing that it was pepper-y and some, as it turned out, really liked it that way, told me they thought it was quite good. And it was.

That's why it's a keeper. Hope you enjoy it too.


Creamy Cole Slaw

Slaw mix (finely shredded cabbage and carrots)
3/4 cup very good quality mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons sour cream
2 Tablespoons grated or finely chopped Spanish onion
2 Tablespoons sugar, or to taste
2 Tablespoons white vinegar
1 Tablespoon dry mustard
salt and pepper to taste (optional)

Whisk together the dressing ingredients and mix with slaw mix. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.

No comments: