Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, February 9, 2009

Monday's Meal

Today, I thought we'd be as American as, well, apple pie. And you know, nothing says love (for a certain holiday later in the week) like "some lovin' from the oven". If you need a pie crust recipe, you can check here. Otherwise, I will tell you that I always use this recipe when I make an apple pie and I've made one a few times in my life now. I've heard of people throwing in things like nuts or raisins to make their apple pies more interesting. If you want to do that I wouldn't add more than a cup until you've made it the first time and see how it turns out. Then you can adjust as you like.

I originally got this from a Family Circle cookbook -- a really old one. The preferred apple is the Granny Smith, but when I didn't have them, I have used whatever I had. Granny Smith is the best though so stick with it if you can. If you don't put vents in the top crust, it will stay up while the filling cooks down so make sure to put vents in it.

Classic Apple Pie

2 pie shells
about 4 large apples, cored, peeled, and sliced thin
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon lemon juice

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a pie plate and line with one of the pie crusts. Combine apples, brown sugar, sugar, flour, cinnamon and lemon juice. Pour into prepared crust. Gently lay pie crust on top and seal edges by pressing together. Cut vents in top crust. Bake for 15 minutes in 400 degree oven. Reduce heat to 350 and bake for another 45 -55 minutes.

No comments: