Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

New Cheap Thrills

I mentioned sometime back that a lot of the younger women were (finally) interested in a new fad called "couponing." I also mentioned that I didn't really use coupons much because the strategies I used weren't focused on having to use coupons.

Well, since the 'recession' began, companies have been printing coupons at a lightning tree killing rate. Not only that, online coupons have become available at a larger rate. It may be that this is in response to the fact that so many people are using them now. Only last year, there were coupon inserts about every other Sunday or so in our paper. Now our paper has the amount you can save with them printed on the front and has inserts every week without fail!

So I've actually been playing around with them quite a bit of late. It hasn't changed our budget at all. But it is kind of my new cheap thrill hobby. It is a lot of fun to walk out of a store with a bag full of stuff knowing you only paid change for it.

Recently, I went to Target. I bought a deodorant, an 8 oz. bag of mini-Oreos, a small bag of fruit snacks, and two single serve Easy Macs. My grand total after coupons and tax -- 98 cents. Now tell me that isn't fun. Even the grouchy cashier gave me a surprised "Wow."

What has clearly changed is my stockpile. I always kept at least one or two of some item that we needed on hand. I dearly despise getting ready to take a shower and finding out I have no shampoo. Using shampoo as an example, if there had recently been a sale, I might have 6 in my stockpile instead of one or two. Currently, I have about 20. So I guess the only thing that's changed is that all my extra storage space has gone away. :) However, I can't pass up something that's free.

The chick uses roll-on deodorant and recently she informed me that she had enough to last her until she goes to college. She's 14. All but one of those -- the one she's currently using, I believe, were free or less than free. I pointed that out and she just laughed and said she would have plenty of deodorant. And she knows she may get more as long as I can get it free or for tax.

Another thing that's changed, although it may be more because of the amount of coupons being printed, is that I have tons of the things. My little coupon clutch bulges. I refuse to carry anything larger, not because it would embarrass me to walk about the store with a binder filled with baseball card pages encasing coupons, but because I would be annoyed by the bulk and end up not carrying it in at all. I have considered going back to an index card box but I really like my Dollar General coupon clutch so I'll just deal for now.

One of those hard and fast rules about budgeting is that there aren't any hard and fast rules. You have to be flexible and work with the sales. Right now, my cheap thrills hobby is the "sale." I haven't changed any of my strategies to keep my budget down though.

And it may be when that when the economy goes back to normal, all these extra coupons will go with it. But I'd like to think that everyone who has finally learned to do things practically will keep exercising that knowledge even in the feasting years. Our world tends to move in cycles. You can pretty much count on another famine later.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha! I, too, love getting things for pennies, and my cabinets are bulging, as well. Even so, I still have tons left to give away. It's crazy! I think all the savings blogs help a lot. When people track down all the coupons for you, and even write up the deal scenarios, it makes it a lot easier to participate.
I never used coupons before this summer (at least not as a lifestyle:)), but I hope to keep them part of my life for a long, long time. After seeing the hundreds of dollars we have saved each month because of them, anything less would seem to be like being a bad steward.

Oh, and I refuse to use anything more than a little coupon clutch (okay, TWO coupon clutches) b/c I DO refuse to take anything bigger into the store:). Plus, I have a massive purse, so they can both fit in there.

Born Blonde said...

I'm glad to know someone else is as stubborn as I am about carrying around a coupon tome. LOL

I am also glad to have someone to share my 'hobby' with. :)

bekster said...

Shelia and Kim, I'm glad this is working for you. It seems to be working for a lot of people I know. But... I just don't get it. (I mean, I DO understand the appeal, I just don't understand how to DO it.)

I need someone (and I KNOW all of you coupon-crazy ladies out there are reading this) to help me with this. I have had people offer to explain it to me before (and some have tried), but I need someone to help me figure this out for what I actually want to buy. My experience with coupons thus far is that I end up buying EXTRA stuff that I don't actually need, and I can't find coupons for the things I buy anyway. I want to get "healthy" (organic-ish) food and "good" (with the least amount of funky chemicals) hygiene products, etc. for cheaper. How do I do this? Let me add that we don't get the newspaper because we can't get them actually to deliver it. I also have extremely limited storage space for crazy amounts of extra shampoo and things. I just want to get what I already get, but cheaper. Can someone help me with this?