Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, December 6, 2010

Monday's Menu

My congregation's Annual BBQ and Talent Show was this past weekend. Although we didn't go (life is chaotic enough right now, thank you), it is something that kind of kicks off the Christmas season for me. Honestly, I think, in all the years we've been here, we've only gone maybe 2 or 3 times. But knowing it is happening and hearing about it the next day always says to me, "It's Christmas time!"

It used to be that it was followed by a huge Christmas party for the community in which we delivered presents to needy children and their families. One gift that was given to the family was a big box of food and included in that was often a loaf of Amish Friendship Bread. The lady who headed it up commissioned several ladies around the congregation to care for starter and bake loaves for the boxes. The loaves would come pouring in on the box assembly day and be positioned prominently and safely on top -- a personal touch that I'm sure let them know how much we cared.

Logistics and expense eventually caused us to let that program go but Amish Friendship Bread still pops up its merry head every once in a while. I am not the biggest fan of the stuff but it is good and I think, once you've worked with the starter for that long, you feel as though you've earned the right to enjoy it. No guilt. :)

Personally, I don't see using instant pudding mix as being terribly Amish or having been 'passed down through generations' as some recipes tout but otherwise I don't have a problem with it. There is the starter that doesn't go in the fridge and one that does -- at least that I have. The one that does is more often known as "Herman" and there are an unending multitude of recipes to be made with dear old "Herman." In fact, you could probably punch 'recipes using Herman' into any search engine and find a few yourself if you wanted.

The unrefrigerated one sounds more like the one I have most often seen though so I'll share it today and if you'd like to try Herman, let me know in the comments and I'll share the one I have.

This one was shared by someone in an e-newsletter I receive and which you can check out here.

Amish Friendship Starter

1 Tablespoon active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk

Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water in a deep glass or plastic container. Stir in remaining water, milk, flour and sugar. Beat until smooth. Cover. Because your first batch of starter contains fresh yeast, you can skip the 10 day instructions and go straight to the instructions for splitting your starter. Do not refrigerate. Do not stir with metal spoon. With successive starters, follow the instructions for the 10 day fermentation.

Day 1 - Receive starter.
Day 2 - Stir (or squish zipper bag) with wooden spoon.
Day 3 - Stir (or squish zipper bag) with wooden spoon.
Day 4 - Stir (or squish zipper bag) with wooden spoon.
Day 5 - Add 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, and 1 cup milk.
Day 6 - Stir (or squish zipper bag) with wooden spoon.
Day 7 - Stir (or squish zipper bag) with wooden spoon.
Day 8 - Do nothing.
Day 9 - Do nothing.
Day 10 - Add 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, and 1 cup milk. Put 1 cup of starter in each of three containers or zipper bags. Give two away to friends and keep one. This will begin their day 1.

For Bread:

1 cup oil
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
3 eggs
1 small box vanilla instant pudding mix
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk

You will have 1 cup of batter left (besides the 1 cup starter you saved for yourself to begin again). To the remaining batter, add oil, sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, eggs, milk, pudding mix, cinnamon and salt. Beat until well blended. Add one cup raisins, chocolate chips, or nuts if desired. Grease 2 loaf pans well, and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, coating bottom well. Divide batter between pans and sprinkle tops with cinnamon sugar if desired. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

When my sister was a newlywed, she made a loaf of Amish friendship bread every week. Several times she gave me a starter, but I killed them every time. My sister decided that she preferred to bake the bread in an 8x8 dish and serve it like cake, instead of bread. Often she would save one cup of starter for herself and use the remaining two cups to bake a double batch of bread, using a 9x13. Her husband loved it. He often said, "Home just wouldn't be home without a big bowl of goo on the counter."

bekster said...

I think someone would be more of a "friend" if they would just make the bread for me instead of giving me a bag of batter. I have done it before, and it IS good (really good, in fact), but not quite worth the effort for me.

I wonder if they call it friendship bread more because after the whole process you have this sentimental attachment to the goo. Surely it can't be because you give it to your friends. In a way, it's like giving them a pet. Sure, they get to eat it later, but it's extra responsibility.

bekster said...

(In case you were wondering, yes, that was supposed to be funny.) :)

Amanda said...

My lack of sentimental attachment to the goo is the reason I have never successfully made a loaf of friendship bread.jac