Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, July 25, 2011

Monday's Menu

Remember the Seinfeld scene where Jerry tells George his opinion about salsa.

I have never made salsa before although I have made pico de gallo, which is in my opinion simply a fresh version of salsa. If it hadn't been hot (or barely medium in Hubby's opinion), I would have eaten the whole bowl myself. As it was I forced myself to endure a very large amount of it before running from the heat. It is basically chopped fresh tomatoes, onions, and jalapenos with a little fresh chopped cilantro thrown in. Then you squeeze lime juice on top and toss. It was SOOO good.

But regular canned salsa I have never made. However, Hubby loves salsa. I could make him pico de gallo all the time but the problem with fresh ingredients (particularly when you don't have a garden) is that you pretty much have to buy them right when you want to use them.

The other day, though, I ran across this recipe in my Real Food 4 Real People email newsletter. I decided to make some to see what Hubby thought. I didn't try it because it made quite clear that it was very hot. I think I could skip the jalapenos and make it mild though.

All the ingredients together in the food processor.

Hubby's been eating it up. He loves it. And, well, if it could be any easier, I don't know how. You basically throw it all in a food processor (or equivalent) and whiz it to the consistency you want.
Give it a whiz and what do you get.

Give it a try.


Salsa

2 cups canned whole tomatoes, drained
3-5 jalapeno peppers, chopped (canned or fresh)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder OR 1 clove pressed garlic
1/8 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon vinegar

Coarsely chop onion in food processor. Cut to remove stem ends from tomatoes and place tomatoes in food processor bowl. Add remaining ingredients. Blend together to desired consistency. Refrigerate leftovers.

No comments: