Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Proverbs 31 Woman

Thinking back over my prayer journals, one thought comes up a lot. I want to be a better wife and mother. There is a description of a woman that begins in Proverbs 31:10 that is THE woman. I've decided to go through it one verse a week and look into what makes her tick. I can work on the same traits in my own life and maybe feel like I'm getting somewhere. Join me on Thursdays when I'll share this week's verse.
P.S. please forgive all the funky fonts -- blogger and word apparently do not get along. i try to fix it as I catch it but sometimes it jumps right back to the weird stuff.

See verse 23 here.

*************************************

Proverbs 31:24

She makes belted linen garments
and sashes to sell to the merchants.
.

Character Traits:
Makes to sell

Character Trait 1:

Contributing or Providing

Definition:
--
to have a part in bringing about something; to supply what is needed for support

Verses in the Bible about it:
2 Corinthians 9:8

And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others.

Ecclesiastes 5:12

People who work hard sleep well, whether they eat little or much. But the rich seldom get a good night’s sleep.

2 Thessalonians 3:10

Even while we were with you, we gave you this command: “Those unwilling to work will not get to eat.”

1 Timothy 5:18

For the Scripture says, “You must not muzzle an ox to keep it from eating as it treads out the grain.” And in another place, “Those who work deserve their pay!”

Summary:

I didn’t pull too many verses on this one. It seems to be more of the same – she is a hard worker who looks toward many avenues to care for her family.

Conclusion for this verse:
It seems to me that it is not enough that she haggles over prices, buying quality goods. But she also works constantly providing income, not content to control only what goes out. Here is another example of using her own skills to make things to sell and give more of an income to her household. She truly looks at every opportunity to give her household security – both in and out of season, during fat and lean times.

Comments:
This is a reminder to me that I can add to our home financially as well as controlling what goes out. Even if it is simply choosing to use an interest-bearing account, every decision can make a difference. Nothing should be too small to be considered.

It’s also becoming obvious to me that this woman probably takes a lot of the stress off of her husband’s shoulders. Financial concerns are usually listed as number one in lists of reasons for marital failures. If that’s the case, perhaps working so hard to remove this concern is a valuable effort toward maintaining both your marriage and your spouse’s health. As head of our households, men often have many pressures to deal with, finances being only one of them. Perhaps a good wife would look for ways to lessen those burdens, whatever they are, so that he could do the job God gave him more easily. It’s a thought anyway.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Thanks for this post. this is a concept I have been thinking about a lot lately and wondering if it is my responsibility to help financially. I think it is safe to say that if my husband wants me to, I should find ways to make a little money without neglecting my other God given responsibilities.