Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, April 9, 2012

Monday's Menu

This isn't so much a recipe as something we enjoy having. Occasionally, I will make our family version of calzones. I haven't a clue how to make an actual authentic calzone. The only calzone I have ever eaten came from Mazzio's pizza (so I feel fairly correct in assuming it wasn't exactly authentic either).

But this is pretty darn good whatever it is. Here's how you do it.

First you make a dough. Sometimes I'll make bread dough to use but I actually think it might be better with just pizza dough, like this recipe. The pizza dough will break very easily so you have to be very careful with it and expect to have to handle it in such a way that the whole thing won't fall apart on you.

Using my pizza recipe (which makes two pizzas) recently, I made 3 calzones. Roll out the dough in a messy, smallish rectangle. I usually spread some sauce on it -- maybe a 1/4 cup or so. I have made them with no sauce and it's just too dry. But you don't want too much in there either or it will spill out on you.

Then pile on whatever you want in it. This past week, ours had pepperoni and crumbled sausage (cooked). On top of all that, you sprinkle your cheese. We pretty much always use mozzarella but I guess you could use whatever you want.

Then pull the short ends up and gently stretch the long sides over to cover the toppings. Pinch the dough together to seal it all inside.

I then rolled it over onto a pan with sides so that it was seam side down and bake it at 400 to 425 degrees until the dough is cooked. It took about 15 or 20 minutes for us. Then we just sliced of pieces and ate. Even Rugrat loved it.

What kind of fillings would you put in yours?

1 comment:

Belinda said...

I use Canadian bacon, ground beef, bacon, and pepperoni. Then lightly butter the top and sprinkle with garlic and Parmesan cheese.