Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Proverbs 31 Woman

Thinking back over my prayer journals, one thought comes up a lot. I want to be a better wife and mother. There is a description of a woman that begins in Proverbs 31:10 that is THE woman. I've decided to go through it one verse a week and look into what makes her tick. I can work on the same traits in my own life and maybe feel like I'm getting somewhere. Join me on Thursdays when I'll share this week's verse.


P.S. please forgive all the funky fonts -- blogger and word apparently do not get along. i try to fix it as I catch it but sometimes it jumps right back to the weird stuff.

See verse 30 here.

**************************

Proverb 31:31

Reward her for all she has done.
Let her deeds publicly declare her praise.


I had a hard time putting this final verse into the same format I have been using for the others. It seems to me that this verse is more passive than the others.

She has done all these things and has worked very hard. This final verse seems to be saying that others will know it; that encouragement and praise will come her way. She will not have to self-promote. People see, even when you don't know they're looking.

Her husband and family sees her work. They know she is a "woman of noble character" who fears the Lord. Her friends and neighbors all see it too. They all have benefited from her motivation and dedication.

Perhaps this verse is simply stating fact. Or it might be reminding us to appreciate one another, to give praise and encouragement where it should be given and put away the negative and critical thoughts toward one another. Of all the people who can be most negative toward women, the one who is generally the worst is the woman herself. Second only to that is, surprisingly, other women. We can discuss our loving and nurturing natures in one sentence and completely rip each other apart in the next.

I am taking this verse as a reminder -- both to be kinder to myself and to be encouraging to other women.

In this way, we could make this verse into one that is simply stating fact... when you give your all and do your best, you will be rewarded.


So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

No comments: